Ingrown toenail and toenail fungus treatment in Geelong
At Podiatry on Pako, we have more than 30 years’ experience treating a wide range of toenail problems, including ingrown toenails and toenail fungus. Don’t let fear or embarrassment stop you from what is usually a quick and painless solution. Please contact our Geelong podiatry clinic for more information or to book an appointment.
This is one of the most common toenail problems we treat at Podiatry on Pako. An ingrown toenail occurs when part of the nail pierces, or ‘grows’ into the surrounding skin. It usually affects the big toe and can result from a range of causes, from poor nail cutting to:
- Injury or trauma near the nail, especially repetitive sports-induced damage
- Ill-fitting or uncomfortable shoes, like women’s heels, that restrict nail growth
- Flat feet, resulting in compression around the toes and restricts nail growth
- Curved nails
Many people will delay seeing a podiatrist for fear of surgery – however it’s best to have ingrown toenails assessed earlier to prevent the need for surgery. Other treatments the podiatrist can discuss with you include antibiotics, soaking the affected nail in salt water and custom orthotics to relieve pressure.
If nail surgery is required, most times it is a simple procedure to remove the ingrown part of the nail, which can be completed in-house by our podiatrist.
Also called onychomycosis, fungal nails are the result of fungal colonies breeding on the keratin and moist conditions found around your nails and in the nail bed.
Affecting up to 14 per cent of the adult population, toenail fungus can be both painful and embarrassing, compromising your ability to live your life comfortably.
Our Geelong podiatrist can discuss a variety of toenail fungus treatment options with you, including:
- Toenail fungus laser treatment – this is the most popular nail fungal treatment, as it’s pain-free and 80 per cent effective for fast results without causing damage to the nails. We can perform this for clients at our clinic, with the option for multiple treatments if required.
- Prescription medications can offer results, however are not always a good choice due to the possible side effects.