Ankle pain & treatment
Ankle pain can be both a direct pain in its own right, as well as indicative of another underlying condition, like tendonitis, arthritis or diabetes. At Podiatry on Pako, our experienced podiatrist will correctly identify the cause of your ankle pain and devise effective treatment.
What is ankle pain?
The ankle carries a lot of stress, as it bears much of a person’s weight. With a complex structure, involving muscles and ligaments concentrated into a relatively small area, ankles are susceptible to damage, tears and sprains.
Causes of ankle pain
Due to the heavy-duty work required of the ankles, pain can be the result of a wide number of underlying issues, including:
- Pronation or fallen arches
- Sprains and twisting of the ligaments
- Torn ligaments
- Achilles tendonitis and other tendinopathies
You will usually see swelling or bruising as visual signs surrounding the painful area.
Treatment for ankle pain
Your podiatrist will advise on the best treatment for an ankle injury, including:
- correct strapping
- RICE method involving rest, ice, compression and elevation of the foot
- increasing ankle support using custom orthotics. Made in-house at our Geelong podiatry clinic, these are specifically designed to support your foot and ankle for improved biomechanic function.
Please contact Podiatry on Pako for more information about ankle support and treatment.